Whoever said “Parenting” was a piece of cake or a walk in the park – Was telling a tall tale! They lied!
Being a parent is the most rewarding, stressful, sacrificing, loving caring, heart-wrenching job on the planet!
There are these tiny little humans that you are responsible for teaching, training, guiding, loving and caring for. They will put your patience to the test, push against the rules, test boundaries, exercise their will and often raise their voice in protest to something they don’t like or don’t want to do.
Have you ever had your child walk away from you, slam the door in anger, pout, yell, whine, scream, Oh and the best one yet – tell you to be quiet and leave them alone!!!
Welcome to Parenthood!
Well maybe that is just me and my children – Can you relate?
What I do know is this – Life with children has it’s challenges and it’s benefits!
Here is what I have learned parenting my two teens
- they are emotionally sensitive
- very opinionated
- extremely vulnerable
- teens desire independence
- very needy
- need guidance, reassurance and praise
- need support – mentally, emotionally, spiritually, financially
- need acceptance
Most of all your children need your love and they need to feel loved
As parents here is how we can help:
- your children need you to hear and listen to them and what they have to say
- set specific guidelines and parameters
- trust your children
- give them a little independence
- teach them the value of responsibility
- show them you love them – not just by word only
We are still on this journey and we are still learning along the way. Every day is not perfect, but we are actively learning to love, walk in forgiveness, grant each other grace and live our best lives with our best selves.
Do you have teenagers? Share your parenting stories with us – We would love to feature them!